If you’ve recently been prescribed Ozempic or are considering starting on the medication, you likely have many questions. Adjusting to a new drug takes time and effort, and you want to feel confident that you’re doing everything properly.
While your doctor or healthcare provider will be your best resource as you navigate side effects, dosing increases, and proper injection practices, you may also wish to independently inform yourself about various aspects of Ozempic treatment.
Bisonpharmacy.com’s posts are not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional but do offer well-researched information about Ozempic and other prescription drugs. Below, we’ll explore how to know if your Ozempic pen is empty and what to do if it is. Let’s dive in!
What Is Ozempic?
Ozempic (active ingredient semaglutide) is a brand-name drug produced by Novo Nordisk. It is indicated for treating Type 2 Diabetes in adults and is FDA-approved for the following:
- Improving blood sugar control by stimulating insulin secretion and lowering glucagon secretion
- Lowering the risk of major adverse cardiovascular events (such as stroke or heart attack) in adult patients with Type 2 Diabetes and diagnosed heart disease
Ozempic is most effective when combined with regular exercise and a healthy diet. In many patients with Type 2 Diabetes, it promotes healthy weight loss, but it is not officially approved as a weight loss drug. If you are taking Ozempic primarily for weight loss purposes, you have received an off-label prescription for the drug (a prescription for a purpose other than the intended one).
How To Use Ozempic
Ozempic is a once-weekly injectable medication that must be injected on the same day each week (it can be administered at any time of day and with or without food). It comes in pre-filled, single-patient-use pens and is injected subcutaneously (under the skin) into the thigh, upper arm, or abdomen. The manufacturer recommends rotating your injection site each week and never injecting directly into a muscle or vein.
Ozempic comes in four different doses: 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2 mg. The 1 mg and 2 mg pens each contain 4 doses of medication, while the 0.25 mg/0.5 mg pen contains either 8 doses of 0.25 mg or 4 doses of 0.5 mg (you can select your preferred dosage at the time of injection).
Ozempic pens must be stored away from direct sunlight and moisture and should be refrigerated prior to first usage. After being opened, they can be stored either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Once 56 days have passed, Ozempic pens must be properly disposed of (see below). You should not inject Ozempic which has been open for longer than 56 days, even if doses are remaining in your pen.
Keep the following safety precautions in mind when using Ozempic:
- Ozempic pens must never be shared between people, even if the needle is changed. This can lead to the transmission of diseases and infections.
- If you miss a dose of Ozempic, take it as soon as you remember. If more than 5 days have passed, skip the missed dose and resume your dosing as usual according to schedule. (If you miss more than one dose, consult with your doctor.)
- Ozempic pens must be properly disposed of. Needles must be discarded in a sharps container, and all local laws must be adhered to.
- Ozempic must be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
- Speak with your doctor directly if you have any specific questions about the storage, administration, or storage of Ozempic.
How To Prepare Your Ozempic Pen
Your doctor will go over Ozempic pen usage with you prior to your first injection of the medication. In general, preparing your pen will involve the following steps:
- Visually check your pen to ensure it is the correct medication and that the liquid is clear and colorless.
- Remove the pen cap.
- Attach a new needle (Ozempic is used with NovoFine Plus needles that typically come with the medication).
- Turn the dose selector to the flow check symbol and make sure a drop appears at the needle tip.
- Select your dose using the dose selector.
How To Know if Your Ozempic Pen Runs Out
You should have a good sense of when your Ozempic pen will run out because you will know how many doses are contained in your pen and how many doses you have taken. The 1 mg and 2 mg pens are very straightforward. As you titrate up from a starting dose of 0.25 mg to a 0.5 mg dose, you may have to keep track a little more carefully. At Bisonpharmacy.com, we highly recommend planning ahead to ensure that you allow time to order and receive a new Ozempic pen before your current one runs out.
If you cannot dial up your dose counter to the desired dose, this indicates that your pen is either completely empty or does not have enough Ozempic remaining to meet your dose requirements.
What To Do When Your Ozempic Pen Runs Out
When your Ozempic pen runs out, it’s time to properly dispose of it and open a new one to ensure a proper dose of medication. If you unexpectedly run out of Ozempic, contact your healthcare provider directly for a new prescription or order new Ozempic as quickly as possible.
Maximizing the Life of Your Ozempic Pen
Taking proper care of your Ozempic pen isn’t hard. With a little dedication, you shouldn’t have any trouble keeping it in premium condition and maximizing its lifespan. At Bisonpharmacy.com, we recommend the following:
- Store your Ozempic pen properly. (see above)
- Use your Ozempic pen correctly.
- Avoid dropping your Ozempic pen.
- Keep your Ozempic pen clean.
Considerations When Refilling Your Ozempic Pen
Ozempic pens cannot be refilled, but your Ozempic prescription can! Be sure to stay on top of ordering Ozempic so that you don’t run out unexpectedly. This may involve scheduling regular appointments with your doctor as well as ordering Ozempic in advance if you’re using a Canadian prescription referral service like Bisonpharmacy.com.
Need To Order or Refill Your Ozempic Pen?
If you’ve received an Ozempic prescription and are ready to start your weekly injections, Bisonpharmacy.com will be pleased to assist you in ordering affordable, high-quality Ozempic to meet your needs. Our knowledgeable and experienced team is always available to answer your questions, and we look forward to serving you.
For more information, place an order online or contact us directly by phone!